When you have surgery, you understand there are certain risks. Your doctor has a duty of care to review those risks with you before the surgical procedure.
However, some injuries and deaths after medical procedures in Atlanta, GA, are caused by medical negligence. At Hasner Law, PC, our Atlanta personal injury lawyers have over 80 years representing injury victims just like you.
Our legal team uses all resources at their disposal to fight for maximum compensation for injuries and damages related to your doctor’s surgical errors. Contact our law firm to schedule a free consultation with our Atlanta surgical mistakes lawyer.
How Our Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help if You’ve Been Injured Because of Surgical Mistakes
You go to the doctor to get help with a health condition. You do not expect your doctor to make a mistake during surgery that causes you further injury or harm. However, surgical mistakes happen frequently in Atlanta, Georgia.
When you hire the Atlanta personal injury attorneys of Hasner Law, PC, you receive an entire legal team. We use our significant resources, skills, and experience developed over 80 years to investigate what happened to you.
We aggressively pursue the parties responsible for your pain and suffering to hold them accountable for their negligence and wrongdoing.
When you hire our legal team, you can expect us to:
- Exceptional attorney-client relationship fostered by direct access to your attorney and paralegal when you have questions or concerns
- Keep you updated on significant developments in your medical malpractice case
- Retain medical experts to assist in the investigation and to provide expert testimony regarding the medical malpractice
- Handle all aspects of your claim, including filing insurance claims
- Negotiate a reasonable and fair settlement for your medical malpractice claim
- File a personal injury lawsuit, if necessary, to protect your best interests
Don’t delay seeking legal advice from an Atlanta personal injury attorney. Contact our law firm now to schedule your free consultation to discuss your case.
How Common Are Surgical Mistakes?
Roughly 400,000 hospital patients experience preventable harm each year. Surgical mistakes are the cause of most malpractice claims in hospitals. More than 4,000 surgical mistakes occur each year in the United States.
What Are Common Causes of Surgical Mistakes in Atlanta?
Surgical mistakes can occur before, after, or during a surgical procedure.
They can occur in hospitals or surgical centers. Surgical mistakes can result in catastrophic injuries and life-threatening conditions for patients.
Negligence, errors, and intentional wrongdoing may result in surgical mistakes.
Examples of surgical mistakes include, but are not limited to:
- WSPEs – Operating on the wrong site, performing the wrong procedure, or operating on the wrong patient
- Rush to complete surgery and time pressures
- Lack of adequate surgeon education and training
- Failure to perform diagnostic tests before surgery
- Failing to monitor patients after surgery for infection and post-operative complications
- Distractions during surgery and inadequate staffing during surgery
- Lack of communication between the surgeon, anesthesiologist, and other staff members
- Lack of or inadequate standardized regulations, procedures, and rules
- Leaving surgical items inside the patient
- Performing surgery while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
The above medical mistakes are avoidable.
Most surgical errors are caused by human error, such as:
- Lack of communication
- Substance abuse
- Inadequate staffing
Many of these reasons could be the basis of a medical malpractice lawsuit.
Common Types of Injuries Caused by Surgical Mistakes
The injuries a patient might sustain because of medical malpractice depend on:
- The type of surgery,
- The mistakes that were made, and
- Other factors.
In some cases, a patient may develop an infection that can be treated with medication. Other patients could sustain a permanent impairment or fatal injuries because of medical negligence.
Immediate medical treatment for injuries caused by surgical errors can prevent traumatic injuries and death. However, if the medical staff tries to cover up the medical mistake or fails to monitor the patient adequately, the surgical mistake may result in irreversible injuries.
Our Atlanta medical malpractice attorneys help you hold a negligent surgeon liable for mistakes and errors.
Who is Liable for Surgical Mistakes in Georgia?
Surgeons and other medical providers who breach the acceptable standard of care could be liable for a medical malpractice claim.
Medical malpractice cases involving surgical errors are complicated personal injury cases.
An Atlanta surgical error attorney may retain medical experts to analyze the surgical mistakes to determine how the surgeon’s conduct deviated from the acceptable standard of care.
Evidence that the surgeon or other medical professional breached the duty of care and the breach caused your injury is required to recover compensation for damages caused by the surgical mistakes.
Damages in medical malpractice claims generally include:
- Medical bills and expense for treatment of the injury or condition
- Loss of income and benefits, including a decrease in earning potential
- Physical, mental, and emotional pain and suffering
- Cost of personal care and in-home health care
- Scarring, disabilities, permanent impairments, and disfigurement
- Decreases in quality of life and enjoyment of life
Our malpractice attorney works with you to document your damages to get you the maximum settlement for a surgical mistake claim.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Atlanta Surgical Mistakes Lawyers
If a doctor or other medical provider caused your injury, contact our law offices to schedule a free consultation with an Atlanta surgical mistakes lawyer. Hasner Law, P.C., can tell you more about your legal rights and the compensation you may receive during a free case analysis.