Hasner Law | Car Accidents | April 16, 2019
Aggressive driving quickly causes problems on the road. Drivers who behave aggressively behind the wheel can make it difficult to predict their driving behaviors, as well as significantly increase the risk of an accident. Not only that, if you suffer injuries in an aggressive driving accident, those injuries may have increased severity due to the aggressive behavior of other drivers. Do you need an aggressive driving lawyer in Savannah? Contact us today at (912) 234-2334 to learn how we can help.
How Hasner Law Can Help
At Hasner Law, we bring our extensive experience with personal injury litigation to every single one of our cases. Our attorneys have handled a wide range of personal injury claims, including many automobile accident cases. Some of our past cases have involved aggressive driving incidents and other serious challenges. Our experienced team of professionals will offer compassionate legal advice as well as provide ongoing legal support as needed throughout your claim process. From negotiating with insurance company representatives to helping you achieve improved results following litigation, we will be there with you every step of the way.
Aggressive Driving: How It Contributes to Accidents
Aggressive driving accidents may seem like other auto accidents. Common injuries include traumatic brain injury, amputations, spinal cord damage, broken bones, cuts, and lacerations. Aggressive driving, however, can substantially increase the severity of injuries suffered by drivers and passengers during an accident. Aggressive driving behaviors include:
- Speeding. Minor speeding usually doesn’t fall into the category of aggressive driving. Traveling at speeds more than 10 miles per hour above the speed limit, on the other hand, may significantly decrease the amount of time drivers have to respond to aggressive behaviors. Excessive speeding may also increase the force that drivers and passengers experience during an accident.
- Tailgating. Tailgaters don’t have enough time to react when the vehicle in front of them stops abruptly, increasing the risk of an accident.
- Fast lane changes. Fast lane changes make it difficult for other vehicles to respond, substantially increasing the risk of accident and injury. Repeated lane changes may also increase the number of accidents, as the driver generally lacks a safe opening to merge.
- Ignoring traffic signals. Ignoring traffic signals, including stop signs and red lights, often puts cars in intersections at the worst possible moment. Failure to follow traffic signals may also make it difficult for other drivers to predict the behavior of the aggressive driver.
- Weaving through traffic. Many aggressive drivers attempt to save time by weaving through traffic. Unfortunately, this dangerous behavior makes their driving unpredictable and increases accident risk.
Who Bears Responsibility for Aggressive Driving Accidents?
Typically, the aggressive driver bears responsibility for aggressive driving accidents, including liability for the financial and physical injuries suffered during the accident. In some cases, however, other individuals may bear a portion of that liability. If the aggressive driver has a high blood alcohol content, the restaurant or bar that over-served them may bear partial liability. If the driver was on the clock, his or her employer may bear a portion of the liability for the accident, especially if a driver with a poor driving history was allowed to continue driving.
You may also bear a portion of the responsibility for an accident involving an aggressive driver. If you bear partial responsibility, the insurance company may reduce your claim amount by the percentage of the responsibility you bear. You may bear responsibility if:
- You also engaged in aggressive driving behaviors, even if that behavior was in response to the other driver’s behavior.
- You engaged in road rage after observing an aggressive driver.
- You indulged in alcohol or drugs, including prescription drugs, prior to the accident.
- You failed to follow appropriate traffic signals.
- You had adequate time to prevent the accident, but you chose not to do so.
What Damages Can You Recover After an Aggressive Driving Accident?
Every auto accident case, including those involving aggressive driving, has a different outcome. Several common claims, however, include:
- Medical expenses for any injuries that occurred during the accident
- The estimated cost of ongoing medical care after the accident
- Lost wages for time missed from work
- Lost income potential
- Compensation for pain and suffering
How Do Insurance Companies Try to Avoid Paying?
After your accident, you need funds to help move on with your life. Unfortunately, the insurance companies may try several common tactics to avoid paying the full cost of your injuries.
- Trying to prove your injuries occurred at another time or that you made them worse. Many insurance companies will try to prove that your injuries cause fewer problems than you claim or that your injuries predated the accident.
- Offering a low initial settlement. Insurance companies frequently offer low initial settlement amounts immediately following an accident. At this point, you generally don’t know the full extent of your injuries or your total costs.
- Trying to shift responsibility for the accident. If the company can prove that you bear partial liability for the accident or that another individual or entity also bears liability, it can reduce the compensation that it owes you.
The Benefits of Hiring a Lawyer
How much does hiring a lawyer cost after your Savannah aggressive driving accident? The real question is how much will it cost you not to have a lawyer after an aggressive driving accident? A lawyer provides valuable legal advice that can help you navigate your claim; lawyers can also provide a better understanding of how much you should receive for your injuries. Simply having a lawyer can also increase the amount you receive for your injuries. While not every case will turn out this way, many accident victims discover that a lawyer can get money in their hands faster and even increase the total amount that they receive.
Contact Hasner Law Today for Legal Assistance
Do you need advice regarding how to proceed after an aggressive driving accident in Savannah? Are you struggling with serious injuries or complicated legal issues?
For more information, reach out to one of our convenient locations nearest you for assistance.
If you would prefer to email us, then please visit our contact page.