Stephen Hasner | Car Accidents | November 4, 2022
In most situations, an accident victim benefits by hiring a lawyer after an Atlanta hit-and-run accident. Hiring a car accident lawyer is the best way to protect your legal rights and gives you the best chance of recovering compensation for injuries and damages.
Why Do People Leave the Scene of an Accident?
People flee from an accident scene for many reasons. Common reasons for hit-and-run crashes in Atlanta include:
- The person did not have the required auto insurance coverage
- The driver did not have a valid driver’s license or was under suspension
- The individual was driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs
- The person was committing a crime
- The vehicle was stolen
- The car had illegal drugs in it or stolen property
- The person is not a United States citizen and is in the country illegally
Sometimes people do not stop at an accident scene because they do not realize they caused an accident. Other times, the driver might panic, especially if they are young or inexperienced.
How Can a Lawyer Help You After a Hit and Run Accident in Atlanta?
Attorneys help accident victims in many ways. Some things an Atlanta hit-and-run accident lawyer does for you are:
- Explains the law regarding hit-and-run accidents and your legal options for seeking compensation for injuries
- Verifies the type of insurance available to pay your accident claim
- Monitors the police investigation to identify the hit-and-run driver
- Files insurance claims and communicates with the insurance company regarding your claim
- Gathers evidence that could lead to the identity of the hit-and-run driver and help you with your insurance claims
- Documents damages to calculate how much your claim is worth
- Negotiates a settlement with the insurance company that fairly compensates you for losses
- Files a lawsuit and pursues the claim in court if the insurance company refuses to agree to a fair settlement amount
Thankfully, most of Atlanta streets are covered by traffic cameras or private surveillance cameras. As a result, the attorney might be able to uncover evidence that leads to the driver’s identity. If so, the lawyer pursues a personal injury claim against the hit-and-run driver.
If a hit-and-run driver injured you, seek legal advice before you talk with an insurance company. You might be surprised to discover your insurance provider is not as willing to settle your case as you thought it would be after an accident.
Filing an Uninsured Motorist Claim with Your Insurance Company
Uninsured motorist (UM) insurance coverage compensates you for losses caused by an uninsured driver. It also applies in cases involving hit-and-run drivers.
Even though you might be dealing with your insurance carrier when filing a hit-and-run accident claim, you have the burden of proving that another driver caused your crash. You must also prove how much your damages are worth.
An insurance adjuster working for your insurance provider is not on your side. Their job is to protect the company from liability, even if that means underpaying their customer for a valid insurance claim.
Your insurance company might give one or more reasons for denying your claim, including but not limited to:
- The accident did not occur
- You are exaggerating your injuries
- There is insufficient evidence to prove the other driver caused the crash
- You failed to mitigate damages by delaying medical care or refusing to follow your doctor’s treatment plan
- You are overstating your financial losses
- You failed to file a claim before the deadline to file
- You contributed to the cause of the car accident (contributory fault)
An independent accident investigation is just as important in a hit-and-run crash as it is in any other car accident case. A car accident attorney determines how the crash occurred and the factors that led to the collision. The lawyer gathers evidence proving that the person who fled the accident scene caused the car wreck.
Personal injury law firms have the resources to conduct accident investigations. An accident victim typically does not have the time, money, and skills to investigate a car crash. When you add the additional complication of a hit-and-run driver, it is clear that you need a lawyer after a hit-and-run accident in Atlanta.
What Damages Can You Receive for a Hit and Run Accident Claim?
Whether you are pursuing a claim against the driver after they are identified or filing an uninsured motorist claim, you can seek compensation for your economic and non-economic damages. You can recover compensation for damages, including:
- The cost of medical treatment and care
- Loss of income and benefits
- Physical pain and suffering
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Personal and nursing care
- Diminished earning potential
- Permanent impairments and disabilities
- A decrease in quality of life
The value of your claim depends on many factors. Talk with a car accident lawyer in Atlanta if you are unsure what to do after a hit-and-run accident. Most attorneys offer a free consultation, so you can get answers to your questions about a hit-and-run accident claim without worrying about paying for legal advice.
Contact the Atlanta Car Accident Lawyers at Hasner Law, P.C. For Help
We serve in Fulton County, Chatham County, and its surrounding areas: