Stephen Hasner | Car Accidents | May 20, 2020
A copy of your car accident report is essential for a host of reasons. The insurance provider of the person who caused the accident will need the report to process the claim. Your personal injury attorney will need it to strengthen your case.
Here, we’ll talk more about how you can get a copy of your Atlanta car accident report and explain why it’s so important you get yours.
Who Do I Contact for a Copy of My Atlanta Car Accident Report?
You can get a copy of your accident report through the Atlanta Police Department (APD).
- For a hard copy of your report, visit the APD’s Public Safety Annex, 3493 Donald Lee Hollowell Parkway NW from 8:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday-Friday. You can call the annex at 404-546-7461.
- For electronic copies, you can go online through the APD’s third-party vendor. There’s a fee for each report. To get a copy of yours, you’ll need to provide your name, the date of the accident, name of the road where it happened and your vehicle identification number (VIN).
Keep in mind that it can take as long as five days from the date of the accident for your report to be processed and made available.
Why Is Getting My Car Accident Report So Important?
In the eyes of the insurance provider and of the law, your Atlanta car accident report provides an unbiased view of how your crash occurred.
Your report will include:
- Date and time of the accident
- Injuries experienced by all people involved
- Insurance information of all involved drivers
- Damages to all involved vehicles
- Statements from witnesses who saw the crash
- Driving conditions at the time of the crash
- Statements from drivers involved in the crash
- Distances between landmarks
In terms of evidence, an official crash report from the police is usually thought to be an endorsed version of how the accident happened.
Do I Have to File an Accident Report If Police Did Not Respond?
Under Georgia law, you’re required to file a car accident report if someone has been injured or killed or there’s been more than $500 worth of damage to either car.
After your accident, you should call 911 to report it to police. If police don’t respond to the scene of your accident, you can file one online with the Georgia Department of Driver Services.
What Can I Do if My Car Accident Report Has an Error?
While it can be difficult to get your accident report amended, it may be worth the trouble. Remember, the insurance provider of the person who caused the accident will place a lot of importance on the report. An error in it can mean your claim won’t be processed.
To make an amendment, you can go to the online site of the APD’s third-party vendor (listed above). Your Atlanta personal injury attorney can also help with correcting errors on the report.
What Else Should I Do After My Car Accident?
Being involved in a car accident can be a jarring experience. However, car insurance industry experts say most U.S. drivers will be in an accident once every 18 years.
The steps you take in the immediate aftermath of a car accident will play a big role in getting compensation through an insurance or personal injury claim.
- Call 911 to report the accident to police.
- Check yourself for injuries as well as other people involved in the accident.
- As soon as you’re able, make notes of what happened.
- Identify anyone who may have seen the accident. Be sure that police talk with them either at the scene or shortly after because memories can become clouded with time.
- Seek medical attention. Even if you feel fine, some injuries like whiplash can take days or even weeks to show themselves. A licensed medical doctor will know what to look for during your examination. Your doctor’s office visit will also start a paper trail of important evidence that can be used by insurance providers and by your personal injury attorney.
- Call an experienced personal injury attorney with a successful track record of handling car accident cases.
- Let your personal injury attorney handle all negotiations with the insurance provider. The insurance reps are professional negotiators who will try to convince you to settle for as little money as possible.
By relying on the expertise and skills of your Atlanta car accident lawyer, you’ll be in a much better position to get the compensation and justice you deserve.