Atlanta Nursing Home Falls Lawyer
If you or a loved one has taken a fall in a nursing home due to someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for the accident. Our Atlanta falls lawyers at Hasner Law PC can help you get justice.
Our Atlanta law firm is accomplished in handling personal injury cases, and our lawyers are skilled in dealing with nursing home falls. Contact our law office today at 678-888-4878 for a free consultation to speak with our legal team and learn more about how we can help.
Table of Contents
How Hasner Law PC Can Help if You’ve Experienced a Nursing Home Fall in Atlanta, GA
At Hasner Law PC our personal injury lawyers have a combined experience of over 80 years practicing personal injury law. We are persistent in seeking the compensation and benefits you need to heal and enjoy your golden years.
When you choose us to represent you, you can rest assured that your case is in competent hands. We conduct ourselves with integrity and pride ourselves on providing clients with the highest level of client service.
Among the many things the personal injury attorneys at our Atlanta law firm can do for you:
- Investigate the details surrounding your fall, including what caused the fall and the extent of your injury
- Pull together evidence to support a claim of negligence, such as witness statements, security footage, hospital records, nursing home background, and any dangerous conditions in the environment
- Consult with medical professionals and elderly care experts to better understand your injury
- Handle discussions and negotiations with the insurance companies so they do not try to take advantage of you
- Negotiate a strong settlement offer that will cover the expenses you need for recovery
- Represent you in the courtroom if a fair settlement cannot be reached
Hasner Law PC will fight to get you the money and justice you deserve. Falling can be catastrophic for the elderly, and those whose negligence caused the accident should be held liable.
Overview of Nursing Home Falls in Atlanta, Georgia
Nursing home residents are vulnerable and reliant on staff and medical personnel to ensure they are safe while on the premises or in their care. When an accident is the result of neglect, you have legal rights.
- Falls are the leading cause of both fatal and non-fatal injuries for individuals over the age of 65
- A 2014 study by the Centers for Disease Control showed that 2.8 million older adults went to the emergency room to be treated for injuries from a fall
- Between half and three-quarters of nursing home residents fall each year.
When an accident could have been prevented but for another’s negligence, the responsible parties should have to pay for the victim’s recovery.
Common Causes of Nursing Home Falls in Atlanta, GA
There are numerous reasons a fall can occur in a nursing home. The age and physical condition of residents increase the chances of falls, which is why nursing home staff have to be extra vigilant. When they are not careful or when the nursing home facility is unsafe, the resident should be compensated.
Some common causes of nursing home falls:
- Weak muscles, limping, unequal gait, and other leg problems can cause slip and fall accidents.
- Environmental hazards such as inadequate lighting, slippery or wet floors, which could lead to issues of premises liability.
- Some medications can raise chances of a fall, especially those that affect the nervous system This could include sedatives or anxiety drugs.
- Transferring residents from one place to another.
- Poor foot conditions and improperly fitted shoes can result in slip and fall injuries
- Incorrectly using canes and other walking implements can make residents slip or trip.
- Understaffed personnel who cannot provide proper care to all the residents at the nursing home.
- Health conditions such as visual impairment, arthritis, dementia, and frailty syndrome.
A personal injury can be traumatic and have a dramatic impact on quality of life, and when it happens to senior citizens, it can be potentially debilitating. Nursing homes and staff are responsible for caring for the frailest among us. They have a duty to uphold a high standard of care.
Nursing Home Fall Injuries Can Be Severe, Fatal
When an elderly individual falls, the injuries can be devastating and possibly fatal. This is why the nursing home has the responsibility not to breach its duty to provide a high standard of care.
Common injuries nursing home residents can sustain as the result of a fall:
- Broken hip and fractures to the femur
- Orthopedic injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries and closed-head injuries
- Damaged teeth and other facial injuries
Even when residents survive a fall, their overall health and physical condition may deteriorate. In some cases, perfectly healthy individuals may see a decline in health following a fall.
Time Limitation For Filing a Claim After a Nursing Home Fall in Atlanta
The state gives you a limited time within which to file a claim for a nursing home fall. In Georgia, that “statute of limitations” is two years from the date of the accident. The limitation is there to ensure witnesses are still able to be found and relevant evidence still preserved.
Two years can fly by when it comes to building a strong case, so be sure to contact our accident lawyers at Hasner Law PC as soon as possible after the initial accident.
Compensation Available to Nursing Home Fall Victims in Georgia
Georgia follows what is called the “modified comparative negligence” rule. This means that if you were more than 50% responsible for the accident that led to your injury, you are barred from recovering any money.
Compensation is intended to make you whole and get you back to your life before the accident. With that in mind, the law typically divides damages into two categories: economic and non-economic.
Economic damages cover the actual costs of your injury and could include:
- Surgical expenses
- Hospital and medical bills
- Ongoing medical treatment
- Physical therapy
Non-economic damages are to cover more subjective and personal losses:
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of companionship
- Emotional distress
Falling as an elderly person can have lasting effects, making it difficult to function normally. Our Atlanta nursing home abuse lawyers will do everything we can to get you the compensation you need.
Contact Our Nursing Home Abuse Attorneys in Atlanta Today
Nursing home facilities have a duty to take special care of the vulnerable elderly. When they breach that duty, Hasner Law PC is here to hold them responsible.
Call our Atlanta law office for a free consultation to discuss your case. Let our Atlanta falls lawyers show you how we can help.