Atlanta Nursing Home Neglect Lawyer
Nursing home neglect is a serious public health concern in the United States. The research and studies of elder abuse and neglect in institutions give a wide range of data. However, self-reports of abuse by residents indicate high levels of abuse and neglect in nursing homes and long-term care facilities.
If your loved one has suffered from nursing home neglect in Atlanta, GA, they may be entitled to compensation. Hasner Law PC has been helping injured individuals and families hold negligent parties responsible for decades.
How Hasner Law PC Can Help After Your Loved One Suffers Nursing Home Neglect in Atlanta?
We trust nursing home and skilled care facilities with the health of our loved ones. Unfortunately, nursing homes can be hotbeds for neglect and elder abuse. An Atlanta personal injury attorney can help if your loved one has suffered elder neglect in a long-term care facility.
Hasner Law PC has over 80-years of combined experience representing injury victims in Atlanta, Georgia. We’ve recovered millions of dollars to date.
When you trust us with your case, we will:
- Conduct an independent investigation into your loved one’s neglect
- Analyze their injuries and damages
- Handle all administrative tasks
- Negotiate with the insurers for a settlement that compensates your loved one.
You can hold the nursing home accountable for their mistreatment of your loved one. Contact Hasner Law PC today for a free consultation with an Atlanta personal injury lawyer.
What is Elder Neglect?
Neglect is the failure of a caregiver to provide shelter, food, medical services, or clothing to a person who cannot care for themselves. In a nursing home, elder neglect can take many forms. It is estimated that ten percent of seniors 65 years and older will experience elder abuse annually.
Examples of elder neglect in nursing homes include:
- Failing to feed a resident who is unable to feed themselves
- Not providing clean clothing and bedclothes
- Withholding medications or medical services
- Failing to assist with grooming, dressing, and bathing a resident
- Causing emotional distress and mental anguish by ignoring or belittling a resident
- Failing to provide safe, clean premises
- Failure to provide wheelchairs, walkers, and canes
- Failing to report signs of illness or infection to doctors, nurses, and family members
When a nursing home fails to meet the needs of an elderly patient, the nursing home could be guilty of elder neglect and abuse.
What Causes Nursing Home Neglect in Atlanta?
There are many reasons why a nursing home resident is neglected. Some common factors in nursing home neglect cases include:
- Understaffed nursing homes
- Failure to supervise employees
- Negligent hiring practices, including failing to screen applicants for a history of abuse, neglect, or criminal acts
- Improper training and support
- Caregiver stress or burnout
- Nursing home mismanagement
- Failing to review a resident’s chart for special needs and requirements
- Focusing on profits instead of patient care
Nursing home neglect is as serious as nursing home abuse. It is not merely a mistake or error. Often, nursing home neglect is a conscious choice to deprive a resident of the basic necessities that ensure physical and emotional health and wellbeing.
What Injuries or Conditions Can Result from Neglect in Atlanta Nursing Homes?
There are many risks associated with patient neglect in Atlanta nursing homes.
Injuries and conditions that could indicate a resident has been neglected include, but are not limited to:
- Bruises, burns, broken bones, lacerations, and other injuries
- Weight loss or malnutrition
- Dental problems
- Recurring illness or infection
- Untreated medical conditions
- Repeated falls
- Personal hygiene issues, such as dirty skin, foul odors, and ill-fitting, unclean clothing
- Suicidal actions or thoughts
- Personality changes (i.e., anxiety, depression, fear, aggression, etc.)
- Loneliness and isolation
- Wrongful death
Neglect can cause life-threatening illnesses and conditions for the resident. Sadly, many cases of nursing home neglect are not reported.
Who is Responsible for Neglect in Nursing Homes?
Staff members and nursing homes can be subject to fines, criminal charges, and civil liability for damages arising from nursing home neglect. The person who abused the resident can be arrested. The state may shut down the facility, depending on the level of neglect and abuse present at the facility.
Can I Sue an Atlanta Nursing Home for Damages?
Yes, you can sue the nursing home and the individuals responsible for the neglect for damages.
Damages that might be included in a nursing home neglect case include:
- Cost of medical care and mental health treatment for a condition caused by the neglect
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Personal care costs if the person’s condition is worse because of the neglect
- Punitive damages, in cases involving willful misconduct or gross negligence
We work to maximize the compensation your loved one receives for the pain and suffering caused by nursing home neglect.
What Should I Do if I Suspect My Loved One Is Being Neglected in an Atlanta Nursing Home?
You may file a complaint about elder neglect and/or abuse with the Division of Aging Services. However, if you believe your loved one is in imminent danger, call 911 to report the abuse or neglect. Law enforcement officials will assist you in gaining medical attention for your family member and obtaining other resources to protect them from further harm.
After your loved one is out of danger, you should consider consulting an Atlanta nursing home abuse attorney. An attorney can explain your family member’s legal rights and their options for holding the nursing home and neglect liable for its misconduct.
Contact Our Nursing Home Abuse Attorney in Atlanta for a Free Consultation
Has your loved one been abused or neglected in an Atlanta nursing home? Do you need help holding the parties responsible for the neglect accountable for their actions?
We have over 80 years of legal experience assisting individuals and families with injury claims. Our Atlanta personal injury lawyers at Hasner Law PC go above and beyond to secure the maximum compensation for our clients.
Contact our law firm today to schedule your free consultation with one of our Atlanta nursing home abuse lawyers. We want to help you protect your loved one as we fight to obtain justice on their behalf.